Sign up for Our E-mail Newsletter

Powered by Constant Contact, email marketing you can trust.

Close Window

Westminster Street, circa 1950

Cornish Associates. Biltmore Garage, Neighborhood Revitalization Award 

Reinforced-concrete parking garages are rarely commended by the preservation community, but Cornish Associates’ recent transformation of 1968 Biltmore Garage has breathed new life onto Washington Street in Downtown Providence. The introduction of six new commercial units a continuous canopy, and new signage along has changed the face of the streetscape.

Although the first floor of the Garage once housed Winkler's Steak House and a doughnut shop, ground level activity had long been absent from this stretch of Washington Street. Cornish Associates’ project created six bays of new storefronts, ranging from 900 to 1,800 square feet. Constructed as 'white box' spaces so future tenants could fit-out the interiors themselves, each unit features floor to ceiling windows facing the street. Natural wood on the ceiling of the suspended canopy adds to the thoughtful design. Underutilized for several years, the renovation has activated the block, with tenants benefitting from the ample foot traffic at the heart of Downtown Providence.

Cornish Associates would like to thank Kristi Gelnett from Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels Architects, general contractor Site Specific Design Build Restoration, and Russ Preston.