Brown University Department of English, Institutional Rehabilitation/Restoration Award, 70 Brown Street
The Brown University Department of English combines the restoration of the historic Samuel B. Wheaton House (1850) with the integration of both Brown’s new English Department and Creative Writing buildings. The project has maintained the 9,000 square foot Wheaton House while adding a new 29,000 square foot addition without allowing the new construction to overshadow the existing structure. The project has also helped to reestablish Fones Alley as a defined space. Brown University and project architects Lerner / Ladds + Bartels succeeded in effectively integrating the old with the new. The project has preserved the integrity of an important local landmark while creating new buildings that preserve the historic context and allow the university to expand to meet its growing needs.