Brown University, Material Conservation Award For Historic Exterior Elements And Stained Glass Lay Light, Peter Green House, 79 Brown Street
When the Peter Green House was moved from its original site on Angell Street up the block to the corner of Brown Street to make way for “The Walk” project, Brown University used the opportunity to execute a large-scale rehabilitation of the structure. Home to the University’s Department of History, the exterior elements and details of the magnificent 1868 house, also known as the Lippitt-Guild House, have been returned to their original grandeur, after years of being ignored.
Lerner | Ladds + Bartels Architects and H.V. Collins Company General Contractors devoted careful attention to repairing and reconstructing original exterior elements and the Providence Revolving Fund consulted on the striking and historically appropriate color scheme. Additionally, special attention was paid to the underappreciated stained glass lay light that is an integral piece of the building’s impressive staircase. The resulting restored exterior of the Peter Green House is a positive contribution not only to the Brown University campus but also to the urban fabric of Providence. The attention dedicated to carefully restoring the exterior elements and materials of this wonderful building is indicative of the University’s ability to execute thoughtful historic preservation projects on its historic campus.