Corliss-Bracket House, Institutional Rehabilitation/Restoration Award, 45 Prospect Street
Constructed in 1882 to the designs of inventor George Corliss, the Corliss Bracket House has been recently restored to its original glory to the designs of Durkee, Brown, Viveiros and Werenfels Architects. This high-style Italianate building is now used by Brown University as its admissions office. Updates to the building were needed to provide handicap accessibility, improved egress, and improved office layouts and storage. Using historic building plans and photographs, interior spaces were restored using period furnishings and finishes while other interior spaces were sympathetically updated for use as office space. The building’s exterior required repair and reconstruction of brownstone as well as repointing of brick and repair of original windows and moldings. The completed project has preserved the integrity of an important local landmark while allowing the university to meet its current needs. The project has been selected for the sensitive rehabilitation of an important landmark building in the College Hill neighborhood and a prominent part of the Brown University campus. Brown’s stewardship of this historic building serves as an excellent example of the university’s commitment to outstanding restoration work.