Dwight House at Lincoln School, Institutional Award, 301 Butler Avenue
This 1870 Mansard-roofed Second Empire house was acquired by Lincoln School in 1943. Since then, it has been used for multiple academic and administrative programs. The fate of the building was in jeopardy in the mid-1990s. Long underutilized, it had fallen into disrepair and was subsequently included on the PPS Ten Most Endangered List in 2001. Educational institutions are challenged by limited growth within historic residential neighborhoods, but rather than demolishing the home the school revised its plans to still meet its needs while satisfying those of its neighbors.
The Dwight House has been restored as the on-campus home for the Head of School. The extensive interior and exterior renovation was meticulously executed by Nappa Building Corporation, also an in-kind contributor. Interior elements, including beautifully detailed woodwork mantels and facades, staircases, and a hand-painted mural in the front entry have been fully restored. The completion of this renovation demonstrates Lincoln School’s commitment to preservation and promoting Providence’s distinctive architectural legacy while creating a strong sense of community that further strengthens the school and its educational mission. The project was made possible through the support of Lincoln School alumnae, private foundations, parents, and friends of the school.