Hotel Providence, Neighborhood Revitalization/Adaptive Reuse Award, 311 Westminster Street
Hotel Providence epitomizes the vision of an individual and his commitment to realizing a long sought after dream: the creation of a boutique hotel in Downcity Providence which breathes new life into the downtown core. The project is an extraordinary and positive contribution to the livability and the urban fabric of downtown. Property owner and developer Stanley Weiss was able to realize his dream through the use of state and federal historic tax credit programs and the skill and expertise of Newport Collaborative Architects and E.W. Burman, Inc.
This complex project required the joining of three aging downtown properties -- the Lederer Building (built 1897) on Mathewson Street, the former Blackstone Hotel (built 1911) on Westminster Street, and a modern building lining Freeman Park to create the 80-room hotel. To complete the dramatic transformation of these properties, Mr. Weiss was able to convince the acclaimed L’Epicureo Restaurant to relocate from Federal Hill. The introduction of an upscale hotel coupled with fine dining, has infused new life into Mathewson Street and into our city’s historic downtown core while furthering the efforts of our city’s renaissance.