St. Martin Hall at Providence College, Adaptive Reuse/Institutional Award
The Italian Villa-style home was designed in 1855 by Thomas Tefft as a private residence. The building is one of the few remaining Tefft country estates in Rhode Island. In 2004, Providence College decided to reuse this significant treasure as the Alumni Development Office.
The renovation, lead by architect SMMA/Hoskins Scott and construction manager E. Turgeon Construction Corporation updated the building without sacrificing architectural and historic integrity. Out of respect to the original design, attention was paid reusing existing interior moldings. The exterior façade was repaired, chimney rebuilt, and much of the wood ornamentation was reconstructed.
The thoughtful preservation of this magnificent Tefft villa, St. Martin Hall, will ensure that it is enjoyed by generations to come.