- Founded the same year as PPS, PRI is a statewide non-profit preservation organization aimed at protecting Rhode Island’s historic structures and unique places for present and future generations.
- The Revolving Fund was incorporated in 1980 as a separate organization, affiliated with the Providence Preservation Society. Since 2008 it has been a separate, independent organization. Through rehabilitation loans, ownership, development, and sale of property, the Revolving Fund is directly involved in the revitalization of historic neighborhoods and commercial areas in the city.
- National non-profit organization that holds the national preservation conference, highlights endangered places and offers grants.
- Preservation Action is a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization created in 1974 to serve as the national grassroots lobby for historic preservation. Preservation Action seeks to make historic preservation a national priority by advocating to all branches of the federal government for sound preservation policy and programs through a grassroots constituency empowered with information and training and through direct contact with elected representatives.
- Docomomo US is the United States chapter of Docomomo International, a non-profit organization dedicated to the documentation and conservation of buildings, sites and neighborhoods of the modern movement.
Other Local Organizations
- Founded in 1822, the RIHS is a privately endowed, membership organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, and sharing Rhode Island’s history. The RIHS offers a variety of programs and events investigating and celebrating Rhode Island’s unique history, such as lectures, exhibitions, tours, and children’s workshops.
MidCentury Modern RI https://www.facebook.com/midcenturymodernri/
City and State Resources
- For information about what the National Register is and to see if a property is listed.
- For information about state and federal tax credits and National Register designation.
- For information about development and planning initiatives around the city.
This citizen board is charged with developing the city’s plans for preservation, revitalization and growth of the city.
- This citizen board regulates development in designated Local Historic Districts by acting as a design review body.
- Maps of locally designated historic properties and districts.
This citizen board is the development plan review body to conduct development plan review in downtown.
This citizen board is charged to adopt, implement and administer a plan of development for the Capital Center Special Development District.
- A non-profit organization striving to provide information, services, and resources for all residents of College Hill, and to continually improve the quality of life in the neighborhood by solving issues effectively and constructively, working with community representatives to achieve results.
- A non-profit, membership driven organization formed originally over concerns of the re-location of Interstate 195. Today, land use and waterfront development surrounding this process remain two of the organization’s top priorities.
- A non-profit, grassroots organization devoted to improving the quality of life of residents of Summit Neighborhood.
- A non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life in the West Broadway /Armory District neighborhood.
- An archive of demolished buildings, urban decay, and urban redevelopment, good and bad. Discussions of gentrification, urban planning and policy, and artist housing abounds as well.
- Focuses on the development of walkable, affordable, and vibrant neighborhoods that are served by robust mass transit and fueled by greater economic opportunity. Maintains a useful and information blog relating to different city issues.
- The Childhood Lead Action Project works to eliminate childhood lead poisoning through education, parent support and advocacy. The Project is the only organization in Rhode Island devoted exclusively to this critical issue. For information on their programs and educational classes, please visit their website.
- An online resource for historic preservation, building restoration and cultural resource management in the United States and Canada.