Biennially, the Providence Preservation Society recognizes projects, people, and initiatives that contribute to the organization’s mission and vision for Providence. Awards are selected by an independent jury and the PPS Board of Trustees.
As an organization that celebrates a range of interventions, from small to large, we encourage everyone to consider submitting an award nomination. This year’s nominations are due July 1. Finalists may be notified of site visit requests in late August. Awards will be assigned by an expert jury based on the information and images submitted and the totality of the submission.
A celebration of preservation excellence will take place November 15 at an awards dinner at the recently restored Beatrice hotel. We hope you will join us!
2022 NOMINATION FORM
PPS seeks to recognize recent projects that exemplify excellence in historic preservation, thoughtful design, and people-centered planning.
Projects of all sizes are eligible. Projects must be completed between September 1, 2019 and May 31, 2022.
Eligible projects will do one or more of the following:
- Demonstrate that historic preservation can be a tool to revitalize neighborhoods
- Present historic preservation as an important sustainability practice
- Support the cultural and ethnic diversity of the preservation movement
- Be creative examples of saving historic buildings through rehabilitation and adaptive reuse
- Preserve or restore a historic interior
- Exhibit outstanding technical proficiency or innovation
- Represent new design, construction, and additions appropriate within a historic context
- Display innovative and discreet ways to incorporate ADA adaptations
- Strengthen place through good urban design and have broad impact on a neighborhood
- PPS will also consider landscape projects within a historic context.
We will recognize exceptional efforts to sensitively adapt historic properties to changing climate conditions. These can include, but are not limited to, adaptations to address rising water and energy efficiency.
We will consider long-term and sustained preservation efforts that have occurred over years or decades.
- A people’s choice award will recognize a worthy project(s) popular among nominations from the public.
- PPS will consider special preservation initiatives and contributions by individuals or organizations. These may include community involvement, commitment to the preservation of Providence, advancement of preservation education, exceptional and original preservation-focused publications or media coverage, and stewardship of a significant historic resource.
The professional submission fee is $100.00 per project. The fee is waived for Partners in Preservation. You may mail a check made out to Providence Preservation Society to 24 Meeting Street, Providence, RI 02903. Please note the name of the submission in the memo section of the check.
Submissions are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, July 1, 2022.
Additional information about submitting a nomination — as either a design professional or a community member — is available here.
For more information on the awards nomination process, please email us or call 401-831-7440. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Angela Kondon.