The Power of Preservation Education
We are thrilled to announce that we have exceeded our goal for the Power of Preservation Education Campaign, with a grand total of more than $1.4 million! Spearheaded by our dedicated co-chairs Malcolm G. Chace, Jr., Johnnie C. Chace, and Patricia A. Moran, this campaign will allow PPS to create preservation education programs that inform and inspire our residents and those who impact our city’s future. It will also fund essential and critical improvements to Providence’s 1769 Old Brick School House and restore its role as a center for preservation education in the 21st century. Keep an eye out for our groundbreaking ceremony at the School House later this year!
Though the campaign has come to a close, PPS still needs your support to make its goals a reality. Learn more about how you can contribute.
About the Campaign:
The character of America’s cities is shaped by a complex blend of geography, tradition, and history. Older cities have singular personalities stamped by the residents, architectural design, and the significance of their history and heritage. Providence is a national treasure that demands our respect and attention. Preservation Education is critical to ensuring that current and future generations of citizens and policy makers understand why our city is treasured, and that it must be nurtured and protected.
In 2015, the PPS Board of Trustees and other community members worked to create a strategic plan that detailed the goals and directions of the organization for the next decade and beyond. That process identified critical areas through which PPS could best satisfy its mission and benefit the people who live and work in Providence. This strategic plan resulted in PPS’s 2018-19 campaign, The Power of Preservation Education.
The purpose of the campaign was to fund the programs and investments that will bring the strategic plan into reality. This initiative will enable PPS to create new and robust programs in preservation education, and provide for a number of essential capital improvements to the 1769 Old Brick School House, our historic colonial building in the College Hill National Landmark Historic District.